The ARC Junior squad consists of around 40 athletes ranging from 13 to 18 years. The squad has grown rapidly over the past couple of years and its members have achieved numerous successes, ranging from wins at Regional and National events, through to athletes representing the club at Great Britain Junior Trials.
The squad prides itself on Inclusivity and Excellence:
- Inclusivity – equal welcome is given to athletes joining the squad for the first time, athletes who want to balance rowing with other activities, and athletes who want to excel.
- Excellence – the coaching team ensure that training opportunities are provided to enable athletes wishing to reach the top of the sport with GB Trials, to do so at Abingdon Rowing Club.
Training is provided for each age group as follows:
- Junior 14s – up to 6 sessions per week
- Junior 15s – up to 7 sessions per week
- Junior 16s – up to 8 sessions per week
- Junior 17s/18s – up to 10 sessions per week depending on level of ambition
The Junior Squad is coached by a team of eleven coaches who between them have considerable experience in competing as rowers and in coaching Juniors in rowing and in other sports. They row on one of the finest stretches of the River Thames in a good fleet of boats: single sculls, doubles, quads, fours, and eights. The clubhouse includes a well-equipped gym with ergos, a weights area, and floor space for circuit training and body conditioning. We also use St Helen and St Katharine School’s excellent gym facilities and ergo suite.
It’s not all about training - the squad also have socials organised by the Juniors themselves and an annual Christmas social.
- Junior membership applies to anyone under 18 on 1 September of the current rowing season, which runs from 1 September to 31 August.
- A Related Junior is a Junior who is the son or daughter of a paid-up Full Member of the club.
- Junior and Related Junior membership is for 12 months from the beginning of the month in which the member starts rowing or having completed the Junior Learn to Row course.
- A Coxing member may only use the club’s boats as a cox.