Our Adult Learn to Row Course starts Thursday 20th April, lasting 3 weeks with 3 sessions per week, finishing around Thursday 11th May.
- This course will suit those who have never rowed before as well as those who perhaps rowed some time ago and want to get back into the sport.
- Rowing will get you out in the fresh air, doing exercise and learning a lot of new skills - so be prepared to learn new stuff. On the course we try and make it fun and make the activities not impossible just challenging.
- Participants on the course will be split into 2 groups, Each group would meet for 2 hour sessions on Saturdays, Sundays and once midweek in the evening, doing one land-based and nine river-based sessions at Abingdon Rowing Club, with a final session in the Abingdon School Swimming Pool.
- The cost of this course will be £120. The normal Full adult annual membership is £300 that includes use of boats equipment and our gym. We want course members to then become full club members and join us on the river, so you will get a membership offer of £180 that equates to you having joined on 20th April for the year. and having been taught the basics of how to row at no charge.
Our normal intake into the Junior squad is through a Junior Rowing Induction course. A week-long course Monday 10th April to Friday 14th April 2017 is being offered first to J13s, i.e. children who will be under 14 years old on 1 September 2017, who are in secondary schools in Abingdon that do not offer rowing.
- On this course we will conduct a mandatory swim test and capsize drill, teach boat handling, and introduce participants to sculling.
- Choose either: Mon, Wed, Thurs, Fri 9.30am-12.00pm and Tues 7.00am-12.00pm
- Or: Mon, Wed, Thurs, Fri 1.00pm-3.30pm and Tues 7.00am-12.00pm
- Children who complete the course successfully will be invited to join the Club. The new intake will be able to row once a week (day to be confirmed) until the end of the current season (August 2017) and will be able to take part fully in training four days a week at the beginning of the new season (2 September 2017)